Sikkens Cetol 1
Also known as Sikkens Cetol 1 from Proluxe, this stain is an excellent solution for exterior wood coating. It contains premium alkyd chemicals that give it a translucent appearance. Moreover, it ensures optimal wood penetration and adhesion for top coatings.
When you use Sikkens Cetol 1 with Sikkens Proluxe Cetol 23 Plus, you obtain a highly resistant finish. As a result, the wood will withstand mildew and mold. Above all, it will maintain its natural color in the long-term.
Sikkens Cetol 1 is now Sico Proluxe Cetol 1
The same great Sikkens formula you know and trust, slightly different labels. The high quality formula that is synonymous with the Sikkens name is exactly the same as before. Only the name is changing. You can be confident that the product is the same in the can regardless of whether the name is Sikkens, ProLuxe or Sico .
Sikkens Cetol 1 Features
Is a premium, translucent, exterior wood base coat to be used with Sikkens Cetol 23 RE Plus. Its superior oil alkyd formulation offers excellent penetration and adhesion to vertical wood surfaces. Sikkens Cetol 1 RE offers superior UV protection, and is highly transparent, water repellent, weather resistant, flexible, and breathable. When used as a system, this product provides a durable, rich film that will protect from harmful UV rays and minimize peeling and blistering. The inclusion of translucent iron oxide pigments and UV absorbers gives excellent UV protection and color retention.
Sikkens Cetol 1
• Cetol 1 RE may be used as the first and possible second coat for the Cetol 1 RE/Cetol 23 RE Plus system.
• Cetol 1 RE may also be used on its own as a three (3) coat system for specific purposes (i.e. outdoor furniture and fences).
• Cetol 1 RE can be used on the following: Log Walls, Siding, Garage Doors, Outdoor Furniture, Trim, Windows, Fences, Entrance Doors, Log Homes.
• Cetol 1 RE should not be used on horizontal surfaces that may be walked on such as decks.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Key Features and Benefits
• Translucent Iron Oxide Pigments – Improved clarity and color retention; protection from graying.
• UV Absorbers – Added UV protection leads to less frequent maintenance.
• Microporous – Allows the wood to breathe, minimizing peeling and blistering.
• Translucent Film Forming Finish – Basecoat for the Cetol 1 and Cetol 23 Plus system which offers a rich look with a satin sheen.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Color Visualization Tool
• You can model what your home would look like with Sikkens Cetol finishes using the Sikkens Proluxe “Color Your Home” website.
• Please note that colors render differently on different computers and may not precisely match the color of your delivered stain.
• Sample color cans are also available for purchase if you would like to see how your home will look with any particular color.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Coverage Rate
• Coverage areas per coat for Sikkens Cetol 1 RE as follows:
• On rough and weathered surfaces, 200 – 300 sq. ft./gallon.
• On smooth surfaces or hardwoods, 250 – 350 sq ft./gallon.
• Actual coverage may vary depending on the type, age and texture of the wood and application method.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Exterior Stain Colors:
• Natural Oak; Dark Oak ; Mahogany; Butternut; Cedar; Natural; Natural Light Teak;
Sikkens Cetol 1 Canada Shipping
• Sikkens Cetol 1 RE may not be shipped via air transit due to D.O.T. restrictions.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Application Methods
• Long Haired Natural Bristle Brush.
• Roller – Back brush Immediately.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Dry Time
• Drying Time – 24 hours minimum at 68°F and 65% relative humidity. At temperatures below 50º F (10º C) or conditions of high humidity the drying time will be extended.
• Cetol 1 RE dries to touch in approximately 6 hours.
• Dries to recoat in 24 hours, additional coat may increase these times
• Dries to light foot traffic after approximately 48 hours.
• Wait 7 days before using furniture.
• Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times. Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
Sikkens Cetol 1 Preparation Instructions
• All wood surfaces must be thoroughly clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew, mill glaze and previous coatings before applying Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish.
• The best method to prepare vertical wood surfaces is to sand with 80-120 grit sandpaper. However, the following preparation may be used as an alternate to sanding.
|Brand ||Sikkens Proluxe |
|MPN ||SIK41 |
|Stain Base ||Oil-Based |
|Stain Opacity ||Translucent |
|Stain Use Area ||Logs, Siding, Doors / Windows, Exterior |
1. Spray all wood surfaces with clean water, completely wetting the wood.
2. Generously apply a cleaning solution like CPR Log Brightener and Cleaner with a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
3. Let the solution dwell on the wood for 5-20 minutes as you scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze or weathering. Do not allow solution to dry on the wood surface.
4. Power wash cleaning solution from the wood with plenty of clean fresh water using 500 psi with the nozzle 8-12 inches from the surface for full effectiveness of the cleaning and to prevent damage to the wood.
5. Allow the surface to dry for at least 48 hours, or to have a moisture content of 18% or less before finishing.
6. All horizontal surfaces must be sanded using 80 – 120 grit sandpaper. Always sand in the direction of the wood grain and remove sanding dust.
7. Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish should be applied within one week of preparation for horizontal surfaces (decks) and within four weeks for vertical surfaces (siding), provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease, grim and mildew.
• Sikkens Cetol 1 RE is not manufactured with lead or mercury containing materials.
• New rough-sawn wood less than four weeks old should be dry-brushed with stiff bristles to remove loose dirt and fibers. If debris is still present, follow the preparation procedures.
• Weathered grey wood or wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated after the surface preparation by applying a solution of four ounces of oxalic acid crystals in a gallon of warm water. This solution should be allowed to sit on the affected areas for 5-20 minutes before the final rinse with clean water. Let dry three days before coating.
• It is always recommended to perform a full system color test on a sample of the wood.
• Previous coatings must be removed prior to the application of the Cetol 1 RE and Cetol 23 RE System.
• Cetol 1 RE is always used as the first coat in any bare wood application.
• All systems consist of three (3) coats.
Previously Coated Wood – Previous stains, varnishes or sealers must be completely and thoroughly removed prior to application of Cetol 1 RE. After removal of previous coatings, clean and prepare surface as specified above.
New Wood – Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Pressure treated wood must be properly seasoned, dry with a moisture content of 18% or less and free of salts and other water soluble materials before applying stain. Water- repellent treated lumber requires one year minimum of weathering prior to cleaning and application.
Weathered Uncoated Wood – Clean and prepare surface as specified above.
Exotic Hardwoods – Ipe, mahogany, iron wood, tiger wood and teak woods exhibit a dense cell structure which may reduce the ability of a coating to penetrate the wood surface. Clean and prepare all wood surfaces as specified above. Immediately prior to applying coating, wipe surface with acetone.
Checking Moisture Content Before Staining:
• Sikkens Cetol 1 RE cannot be applied when the moisture content of the wood is over 18%.
• If applied on wood with over 18% moisture content, mold and mildew may grow beneath the finish which may cause peeling, cracking and failure over time.
• It is recommended to use a Moisture Meter to test the moisture content of your wood before starting your staining project. This is the meter we use.
Caulking Cracks, Checks, and Gaps :
• Fill all joints, cracks and nail holes with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Sashco’s Log Jam Chinking or Conceal Textured Log Caulking prior to applying Sikkens Cetol 1
• Any cracks or checks that are upward facing which can hold water need to be sealed immediately to prevent any future rot or decay.
• Some larger cracks may need Closed Cell Backer Rod to help insulate and fill the space in ensure a proper seal.
• An annual inspection of all corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in insulating and maintaining the life of your log home.
Sikkens Cetol 1 RE Application Information
• Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface – if water is absorbed within 30 seconds – 2 minutes, depending on climate, the surface is ready for finishing. If water is not absorbed, wait 30 days and re-test.
• Before starting, test your color choice on a small area, applying all coats required.
• The Natural Light (996) color will weather faster than others. This color is not recommended for use on darker colored woods.
• Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application. Intermix all product together before starting to avoid color variance.
• Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush (such as the Woodcare Professional Stain Brush), if applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 – 1700 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C).
• Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
• Do not thin.
• After preparation, apply one even coat of Cetol 1 RE Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
• Allow to dry a minimum of 24 hours.
• Must be top coated with two coats of Cetol® 23 Plus RE Top Coat,
• The first coat must be thoroughly dry before application of the second coat. If possible, back prime with the first coat. During application, saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood.
• Brush on a liberal coat and maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks. Brush in the direction of the wood grain starting at one end of the board or log and continuing to the other end of the board or log.
• The first coat of any Cetol system should be applied from the bottom up to avoid drips which may streak the surface below. Follow with recommended maintenance procedures and schedule.
• Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
• Since outdoor furniture and fences are considered to be in a high moisture environment, two coats of Cetol 1 RE would be your best method of application.
Application Note: Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglas fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed by cleaning with something like Clean and Brite using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 5-20 minutes then thoroughly rise with clean water. DO NOT ALLOW solution to dry on wood surface.
Sikkens Cetol 1 RE Cleanup & Shelf Life
• Clean all tools immediately with mineral spirits.
• Clean spills right away with a damp cloth.
• Shelf Life: 5 years maximum – unopened
Sikkens Cetol 1 RE Maintenance Instructions
• Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection.
• To maintain the products protective characteristics apply a maintenance coat, when visibly required or sheen appears dull and before wood starts to turn grey .
• Areas that show minimal wear should only be lightly coated. Hardwoods and lighter colors may require more frequent maintenance.
• A timeframe of 2 to 3 years on the south and west exposures and 3 to 4 years on the north and east exposures can be used as a general guideline.
• As weathering, exposure conditions, altitude, and applications can vary, maintenance may be needed sooner and should be performed when visually necessary, regardless of timeframe.
• To identify the changes caused by weathering, we recommend saving a coated board from your project and storing it indoors. This can be used to periodically compare to your exterior surface to determine when cleaning, maintenance or replacement are needed.
• Before application of a maintenance coat, prepare the surface using a product like CPR Log Brightener & Cleaner
• Let the surface dry 3 days after power washing. Apply 1 coat of Sikkens Cetol 23 Plus or Cetol Maintenance RE.
• For outdoor furniture and fences, apply a maintenance coat of Sikkens Cetol 1 RE every one to two years.
• An annual inspection of all new cracks/checks, corners, butt joints, windows and doors is helpful in maintaining the life of your log home.
• Fill any new cracks with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Sashco’s Log Jam Chinking or Conceal Textured Log Caulking
• If Carpenter Bees are present and have drilled any new holes, it is best clean the area and seal the bee hole.
• An annual cleaning of the structure with a house wash helps to prevent any accumulation of dirt, pollen, dust and airborne contaminates.
Sikkens Cetol 1 RE Application Do’s and Don’ts
• Prepare your wood properly for stain and finish application. Mill glaze, the shiny surface created when lumber is planed, may keep coatings from penetrating.
• Intermix different batches/cans together to ensure color consistency.
• Apply when the surface and air temperature is between 50ºF and 95ºF (10ºC and 35ºC).
• Saturate all end grains, nail holes and cracks in the wood.
• Maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
• Apply in the direction of the wood grain using a long haired natural bristle brush.
• Stir well before using with a paint mixer . Do not shake if using product the same day.
• Back prime (if possible).
• Do not apply over previously coated surfaces. All previous coatings must be completely removed, except structures already coated with Sikkens Log & Siding or Sikkens Cetol 1 & 23 systems.
• Do not apply when the surface is hot to the touch.
• Do not apply when dew or frost is present or expected within five (5) hours.
• Do not apply in wet weather.
• Do not apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%.
• Do not thin with any mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Janice Collins –
Love this stuff! Glad we could find it here.
Maureen Rogers –
My parents have this on their log home and are always talking about how it is the best. I like that it lasts long as I am the one doing the maintenance to their place. We got it shipped to Ontario and it was quick and pleasantly inexpensive. Now I have work to do lol.
Adam Nelson –
We have been using this on our deck. Yes, yes we know it isn’t made for that. We don’t use the top coat, just this one and it works fantastic on our deck. Have the same on our fence with 3 coats of it.