Sikkens Cetol Log & Siding is a wood stain and sealant that provides prestige, performance and perfection in every bucket. Sikkens Log & Siding provides rich, saturated, vibrant colors that make your home stand out with a satin finish. Translucent pigments enhance the beauty of your wood. Superior durability means less time maintaining and more time enjoying your beautiful home.
Product Type: Oil-based, alkyd resin formula
Uses: Logs, wood siding and trim
- Sikkens Log & Siding provides you with prestige, performance and perfection in every bucket.
- Rich, saturated, vibrant colors make your home stand out.
- Translucent pigments enhance the beauty of your wood and allows the natural wood grain to show through. Two coats of the satin finish gives a warm, welcoming, reflective quality to your home’s exterior.
- Superior durability means less work for you over time.
- Protect your investment and dream with the quality and beauty of Sikkens Cetol Log & Siding.
- Same Sikkens formula…..a new name!
|Container Size||Rough Sawn (coverage per coat)||Smooth (coverage per coat)|
|1 Gallon||150-225 square feet||300-400 square feet|
|5 Gallon||750-1125 square feet||1500-2000 square feet|
PRODUCT FACTS FOR SIKKENS LOG & SIDING
- 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C)
- Natural Bristle Brush for Oil Based Stains
- Roller (must be back brushed)
- Airless Sprayer (must be back brushed)
- Allow surface to dry minimum 24 hrs, then apply second coat
- 2-3 years on South and West
- 3-4 years on North and East
- If rain is expected the next day, Sikkens should not be applied. Inappropriate temperature, rain and higher humidity will affect the drying process. Sikkens may become white and hazy.
- Back-brushing required
- Stir container every 15 minutes
- Maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks
- Two Coat Application
- Do Not Use on Decks and Railings
- No additional mildew prevention additive is recommended
- Allow 24 hours drying time between coats
- Low temperature, high humidity or poor ventilation will increase drying time
Vertical Surfaces (log walls, wood-sided walls)
Great Preparation is the Key to Application Success!
- Spray the surface with clean water, wetting the wood.
- Clean the surface with a product like CPR Log Brightener and Cleaner , apply with a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover.
- Let the solution sit on the wood for 5-20 minutes. During this period, scrub the surface with a hard bristle brush to help remove mill glaze and/or weathering. Do not let the solution dry on the wood.
- Rinse solution with pressure washer at no more than 500 psi standing at least 12 inches from the surface to prevent wood damage.
- Let surface dry for 3 days before application. Three drying days count as non-rainy days. At the end of the drying days, please check the wood for moisture content below 18%. For more information on moisture content, please see below.
Please Take Note:
- New rough-sawn wood should be dry-brushed using a brush with stiff bristles to remove loose dirt and fibers, if debris is still present, then follow the log preparation procedures.
- Weathered wood affected with blue fungi or rust from nails may be treated after the surface preparation by applying a solution of 4 ounces of oxalic acid crystals in a gallon of warm water. This solution should be allowed to sit on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes before the final rinse with clean water. Let dry 3 days before coating.
Check the Moisture Content of Your Logs
Do not apply Sikkens Log and Siding to wood over 18% moisture content. Applying this product on wood with over 18% moisture content will create an environment where mold and mildew can grow beneath the surface of the wood finish creating peeling and lifting over time.
To test the moisture content of your wood, This is the meter we use. For quick reference:
Laminated logs: The moisture content of laminated logs is generally below 14%. These logs are usually ready for immediate application of Cetol Log & Siding once they have been cleaned and allowed to dry for the appropriate amount of time. Always use a moisture meter to confirm the moisture content.
Kiln-dried or air dried logs: Use a moisture meter to check.
Green, wet, or treated logs: These logs have moisture content greater than 18%. Allow the logs to sit in a dry area and check their moisture content on a regular basis. Logs with a high moisture content can take up to 6 months to 1 year to reach the appropriate 18% or below moisture content for applying Cetol Log & Siding.
Apply a Wood Preservative (borate)
Have your logs been pre-treated with a wood preservative (borate) at the factory or mill? Contact your log or siding provider if unsure.
What is a wood preservative?
Wood preservatives (borates) make wood toxic to wood damaging organisms such as powder post beetles, carpenter ants and fungi.
Why apply a wood preservative ( borate ) before applying Sikkens Cetol Log & Siding?
Applying a wood preservative can protect your home from damaging organisms for the life of the home. Sikkens Log & Siding contains a mildewcide, water repellent and UV protection.; it is not a wood preservative.
Caulk Gaps and Checks 1/4″ or larger
It is natural for wood to crack/check over time due to changing seasons, temperature and aging.
Fill all joints, cracks and nail holes 1/4″ or larger with a quality acrylic latex caulk/filler such as Sashco’s Log Jam Chinking or Conceal Textured Log Caulking
Test the Stain
We always recommend performing a two coat color test to a clean, dry, bare area of the structure that you are planning on applying Sikkens Cetol Log & Siding. Please Note: Sikkens Log & Siding is difficult to remove once it has been applied. Before doing a full application make sure that your color selection is correct, has the look you want and a maintenance schedule you can manage.
Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglas fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed. Apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces oxalic acid to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes then thoroughly rinse with clean water. DO NOT ALLOW solution to dry on wood surface.
Apply Sikkens Cetol Log & Siding
Please Note: Sikkens Cetol Log & Siding is a two-coat application on clean, dry, bare wood. Any more or less than two coats will lead to peeling and decreased durability.
For wood already coated with this product, apply a single coat of Cetol Log & Siding. Please see the Sikkens Log & Siding Maintenance section for more details.
- Always follow application procedures on container.
- Buy sufficient product for the whole job and intermix batches
before starting to avoid color variance.
- Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application.
- Do not thin.
- Apply between 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C).
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, or if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours.
Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush, if applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .011”-.013” tip at 1200 – 1700 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
- Apply one even coat of Sikkens Log & Siding Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
- Let surface dry for minimum 24 hour period (see container).
- Apply second coat of Cetol Log & Siding .
- Apply in the direction of the grain. To avoid lap marks, start at one edge and follow through to the end of each board or log maintaining a wet edge.
- Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
- Clean tools with mineral spirits.
- Shelf life 5 years maximum– unopened. Freezable.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Do assure surface and air temperatures are between 50 (10C-35C) degrees and 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do stir well before using.
- Do saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood.
- Do maintain a wet edge to prevent lap marks.
- Do apply liberally in the direction of the wood grain using a long-haired natural bristle brush.
- Do back prime (if coating wood siding, apply 1 coat to the back of the siding, if possible.)
- Don’t apply over previously coated surfaces (other products). All previous coatings must be completely removed, except those structures already coated with Sikkens Log & Siding.
- Don’t apply when the surface is hot to touch.
- Don’t apply when raining or dew or frost is present, or expected within 5 hours.
- Don’t apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%..
- Don’t thin Sikkens Log & Siding with mineral spirits or other paint/stain thinners.
- Don’t apply Sikkens Log and Siding over Cetol Maintenance.
Regular maintenance and annual attention to your log home can save you money and time. Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection. Weather, exposure and altitude may vary, so maintenance may be needed sooner than later in some locations.
A general estimate for re-application with Sikkens Log & Siding is as follows: Every 2-3 years on South and West exposed walls, and every 3-4 years on North and East exposed walls. Please note: Natural Light #996 may need more frequent maintenance than other Cetol Log & Siding tints.
Only one coat of Sikkens Log & Siding is necessary for a maintenance coat. Always follow preparation guidelines under “Clean Your Logs” and apply 1 coat of Sikkens Log & Siding.
Sikkens Log & Siding is available for shipment by ground only
David Friesen –
We have used Sikkens Log and Siding for close to 20 years on our home and love it. This year we switched to the Maintenance clear coat to go over top. Finally they came out with a clear coat to keep the house from getting darker each time we apply it. We will never put another stain on our home other than this, very satisfied.
Tom Pratt –
My father had Sikkens on his home and swore by it. We have used for 9 years now and couldn’t be happier with it. Love this stain!!